- Ice water Vs Sachet Water: You remember that water tied in nylon and sold in traffic. In comparison with the new sachet water, which would you go for?
- Sachet water Vs Table water: Lets take a step further. What makes you consider table water over pure water?
My experience in computer village:I was computer village some days back, in a bid to fix my damaged gadget. I came across this well dressed guy with his branded T-shirt (behind was written, “Engineer Slot Nigeria”. I thought to myself. I will trust a slot phone repairer who is will dressed than a road side who probably knows more.
This explains the psychology of buyers. They are first convinced by your initial appearance before your professional capacity. In other words, you are first a professional by your appearance before your skills.
Why are we focused on dressing?
Consider the following reasons:
Your employees are messengers of professional change. That means their recommendation must not be mistaken for those of any other person. Their dressing presents them as professionals first.
In the case of visit (by you or the prospect), you send a message that nothing special is happening. Whereas something special is happening because you showed up.
By not dressing professionally, you reduce your negotiating leverage. Consider a professionally dress plumber comes to fix your water system. You are definitely going to pay more. Lol
You either sending the right or wrong impression with your dressing. This is not dependent on your capacity to deliver as it will only show after the sale is closed.
For B2B sales, you might limit your options, which eventually limits your earning power.
“To drive good sales, dress like someone whom your prospect would want to seek advice from. That is, you dress to dominate.”
Dress Recommendations for Businesses
- If you don’t want to limit the dress of your employees, I suggest that you adopt the first level of employee identification: the name tag. The name tag is nothing more than a pin-on sign that employees wear for identification purposes. This makes it possible for employees to choose their level of dress.
- The second level which is becoming used now is the branded T-shirts.
- The third level is the high-power “business suit” level. A suit or jacket with a tie or a blouse and skirt adds status and increases the perception of professionalism and respect.
Regardless of which strategy you adopt, the important part is that you adopt one. Communicate it clearly and enforce it consistently!
KSS BY: Isaac Chika Innocent